Saltzman Strategies & Alliances is a retained consulting firm that helps companies of all sizes accelerate their success by out-thinking their competition, creating strategic relationships, corporate and business development, and establishing optimal fundraising and M&A game plans.
Strategy Development & Analysis
- Better understanding your customers and/or competitive landscape
- Figuring out which markets to enter and/or exit…and how
- Deciding which business models will be most successful, and how to transition to them
- Identifying which customers to pursue and which to walk away from
- Resolving internal conflicts while creating the best path forward
- Prioritizing where and how you allocate your resources
- Building fertile product ecosystems to shape markets to favor your products and services
- Accelerating adoption of your platforms, APIs, standards
- Performing insightful and effective due diligence
- Leveraging other companies’ customers and/or IP…or licensing them yours
- Identifying, structuring and negotiating international partnerships to expand more rapidly and profitably
- Improving influencer & analyst relations
Business & Corporate Development
- Creating business plans and financial models for both new and existing businesses
- Identifying companies to invest in or acquire – and coaching on deal structure and negotiation
- Positioning your company to be acquired
- Mapping out and executing corporate turnarounds and restructurings
- Establishing or expanding a US presence for non-US based companies
- Improving corporate governance and making board meetings more useful
About Stephen Saltzman
Stephen is a proven deal maker & strategist experienced at creating & growing businesses of all sizes, and structuring and negotiating strategic investments & alliances.
Former Managing Director for Intel Capital’s VR, AR, XR, and location-based entertainment investments. Also active in imaging, video, gaming, eSports, displays, batteries, Wi-Fi, WiGig, SoCs, VoIP, smart home, and electric vehicles. Stephen joined Intel Capital in 2002, and has previously led investment activity in support of Intel’s Wi-Fi and Atom System-on-a-Chip businesses. Prior to joining Intel Capital, Saltzman was the founder & general manager of Intel’s Wi-Fi division, where he led its growth to market leadership. The Wi-Fi division was Saltzman’s second new business venture at Intel. In the late 1980s, he helped the then newly formed PC Enhancement Operation grow from $6M/year to over $250M/year in 3 years.
In 1989 Saltzman co-founded Now Software, where he was president and CEO. By 1994, Now Software became the largest Macintosh-only software publisher in the world, and enjoyed five consecutive years of more than 100% compound annual growth in both sales and profits.
In 1995 Saltzman started a children’s educational software company called Active Arts. Active Arts won numerous product awards and accolades – and burned through his savings.
Stephen is a former Inc. Magazine-Ernst & Young Software Entrepreneur of the Year finalist and a former Oregon High-Tech Entrepreneur of the Year finalist. His investment portfolio exits include 3eTI (EF Johnson), AeroScout (Stanley Black & Decker), AirMagnet (Danaher), EETI (Taiwan Exchange IPO: 3556), InVisage (Apple), IPass (Nasdaq IPO: IPAS), Jajah (Telefonica) RapidBridge (Qualcomm), SyChip (Murata) and Vocera (Nasdaq IPO: VCRA).
Some of Stephen’s additional experience:
- Stephen is a popular keynote speaker, conference panelist and panel moderator, and business plan judge. Industry events he has spoken at or judged include: TIE (The Indus Entrepreneurs), SxSW, DisplayWeek, Venture Oregon, Venture Northwest, Infinity Film Festival, KPMG Seminars, Oregon State Bar, and the Game Developers Conference.
- Stephen has also served as a guest lecturer & business plan judge at numerous graduate business and engineering schools: UC Berkeley, UC Davis, USC, University of Texas, University of Washington, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, University of Portland, Portland State University,…
- Stephen’s automotive experience includes being an angel investor in Fisker Automotive, serving on Governor Kulongowski’s Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Working Group, and serving on Governor Kitzhaber’s Electrification of Transportation Executive Committee.